[mythtv-users] Things I've learned from mythtv-users

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 21:28:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Larry Sanderson
<larry.sanderson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 03 March 2008 03:26:20 pm Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>  > On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:13 PM, Larry Sanderson wrote:
>  > > On Monday 03 March 2008 02:58:32 pm Brian Wood wrote:
>  > >> On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:50 PM, scram69 wrote:
>  > >>

>  > >
>  > > Anyone know if you can swap out a Mac-mini's processor?  I've heard
>  > > that
>  > > the 2.0 GHz model isn't powerful enough for 1080p.
>  >
>  > Google knows how to do it. It's even faster than waiting for replies
>  > on a mailing list.
>  > http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=mac+mini+upgra
>  >de+cpu&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
>
>  Ok there smarty pants, will the upgraded CPU play the 1080p smoothly?
>  And (Brad - this is for you) before you go running off putting together
>  a google query just so's you can send a sarcastic message to a mailing
>  list and feel better about yourself, be aware: I'm really only
>  interested in personal experience as it pertains to MythTV.  Ideally,
>  I'd like to know if the internal player can handle 1080p with the specs
>  of a Mac Min, and if not then whether an upgraded CPU will help.

I recently swapped out the 1.66 for a 2.0 C2D.  (It's not really that
bad.  Yes there are a lot of steps, but no step requires more than two
hands.  I can't say that for the goofy chipset heatsink on my
backend.)  The 1.66 was handling the broadcast HD just fine - I wanted
the 2.0 C2D so I could snappy performance editing digital video in
iMovie/iDVD from my sofa.  But for kicks, I tried the 1080p trailers
from apple's website, and they play fine in quicktime.  Activity
monitor sees quicktime at 120-140% cpu usage during playback.

I currently do not have any 1080p content in a format that the
internal player handles - if you have any you can link to, I can
always give it a try-