[mythtv-users] Things I've learned from mythtv-users

Larry Sanderson larry.sanderson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 21:29:45 UTC 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 04:00:44 pm Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:46 PM, Larry Sanderson wrote:

> >> Google knows how to do it. It's even faster than waiting for
> >> replies on a mailing list.
> >> http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=mac+mini+up
> >>gra de+cpu&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
> >
> > Ok there smarty pants, will the upgraded CPU play the 1080p
> > smoothly? And (Brad - this is for you) before you go running off
> > putting together
> > a google query just so's you can send a sarcastic message to a
> > mailing list and feel better about yourself, be aware: I'm really
> > only interested in personal experience as it pertains to MythTV.
> > Ideally, I'd like to know if the internal player can handle 1080p
> > with the specs
> > of a Mac Min, and if not then whether an upgraded CPU will help.
>
> I answered the question you asked. ;)
> I do have a friend who swapped out the CPU in his Core Solo mini for
> a Core2Duo. He said it sucked pulling everything apart and getting it
> back together again and would never do it again. He doesn't run myth
> so I have no idea what speed processor is sufficient for 1080p
> content. I think the important question is what kind of 1080p
> content? h.264 1080p content won't play smoothly on my AMD Athlon(tm)
> 64 X2 4200+ but 1080p content from elephantsdream.org (AVI MPEG4)
> plays quite easily.

I'm actually talking about exporting to a 1080p device.... my next
display will be a 1080p projector, and just last night I was looking
into the Mac mini as an option for a FE.  (Actually, it was because the
OP had mentioned it)

I ran into this link:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Talk:Myth_on_Mac_x86#High_Resolution_Playback_Issues_1080i_.26_1080p

So, it looks like it's scaling 1080i content to a 1080p display that
causes problems (which is exactly what I'd be doing most of the time
with OTA HD content).  I found a few patches that seemed to help some
folks but not others.  Nobody mentioned upping the cpu, so I was hoping
to get a definitive answer.

> If it wasn't for sarcastic messages that explicitly answer questions
> asked I would never feel good about myself. Thanks for pointing that
> out. Now everyone will know they are providing me a positive service
> by asking questions that enable sarcastic responses.

Ok, so... uh.... what's the capital of Djibuti?

-Larry