[mythtv-users] why you use myth...like myth, or hate Microsoft

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 22:32:02 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics
<steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

> This is somewhat of a poll question. I'm just curious to see what peoples'
> answers are.
>
> I have seen so much hatred among linux users against microsoft (and rarely
> against Apple, who to me seems worse). Some of the complaints I understand
> and sometimes agree with, but sometimes it seems that linux people have real
> hatred towards Microsoft...like really really bad hatred.
>
> So i'm wondering...why did you start to use myth...
>
> 1. was it because you heard about myth, so you learned to use linux so you
> could run myth,
> 2. was it because you like linux so you then went and used myth,
> 3. or was it because you don't like microsoft, so that's why you're in
> linux, and hence, why you chose myth?
>
> I'm a 1-er myself. I like that myth gives me the customization I like and
> that I can add frontends to it which microsoft mce doesn't let you do as far
> as i know. So i've learned quite a bit about linux during this myth
> process...still a work in progress.
>
> -Thanks
> -Steve

I'm sort of a 2.5, myself.  I've been using Linux for going on 10
years, so it certainly wasn't because of Myth.  And while I certainly
have a dislike for Microsoft, I wouldn't call it an outright hatred.
It's more of an outright hatred of Windows specifically.  I give MS
great nods for their intellimouse and the Xbox360.

Back in the late 90s, I was in college and for the first time on an
always-on, broadband network.  I loved trying out new software, and
whether it be the software's fault or Windows fault, things just kept
crashing.  But crashes blocked the GUI, sometimes even locked the
mouse.  I saw that damn blue screen I don't know how many times.  Just
before I drove a steel hammer through my monitor screen, I overheard
talk about Linux from classmates in one of my CS courses.  I tried
RedHat 5.2, couldn't get my soundcard to work, and said "ok screw
that".  Also tried BeOS, and read up about lots of other alternative
OSes.  About the time that Redhat 6.0 (or was it 6.1?) rolled around,
I gave it another shot.  I've been running one distro or another ever
since.  Currently I use Fedora 7 for my home built router/fileserver
and same for my mythbox in the livingroom.  Casual computing is on my
Powerbook.  OSX won me over with it's unix-y underpinnings, coming
with PHP out of the box (I used to be a webdev), and it's been all
around polished and stable for me even with my penchant for trying new
softwares.  From now on for me it's: portable? Mac.  other? diy Linux
box.  Windows goes in the virtual machine ;)

- Willy