[mythtv-users] New Frontend, Any gotchas with Compact Flash storage

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Mar 3 23:47:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Paul Bender wrote:
>
> > Converting a standard distribution to network boot can somewhat
> > problematic. However, I believe that using a distribution designed for
> > network boot (e.g. MiniMyth) is relatively easy.
>
> Well, IMHO, the hardest part is finding an EEPROM burner and a network
> card with an EEPROM socket.  Also, the first one you try to get
> working is hard; there are lots of moving parts and when things don't
> work, it's usually not obvious why.  Once you've actually gotten your
> first system to boot it's not bad, though.  This is one of those
> things that's hard for people who have never done it, and no big deal
> to people who have.

This was true in the bad old days when you had to install your NIC in an
open PCI slot.

But I am finding that motherboards / barebones systems with a built-in
ethernet also tend to have built-in Intel PXE support for network
booting.  Well, the for past 3 system I've set up (including an older
box from late 2004) this has been the case.  The hardest part of the
work is already done.

  -Mike

--

Mike Isely