[mythtv-users] WAY OT, was: It's over, the RIAA is toast

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 7 14:26:18 UTC 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 2:47 AM, Francesco Peeters wrote:

> The church organist in the church we were married at refused to play
> Wagner because he was a "Nazi-composer"... Of course actually having
> lived under German occupation himself, he was kind of biased...

(I think we have run into Godwin's Law here).

During WWI the USA outlawed the speaking (or singing) of German (and
you thought today's politicians are silly).

This led, among other things, to the performance of Wagner operas in
French. It's hard to think of anything that would sound sillier.

By comparison "Freedom Fries" is logical. Of course I've never
understood that one, the president of France managed to get to the WTC
to pay his respects a week before George Bush managed to get around to
it, and our "independence" would be nonexistent if it were not for the
French Army, Navy and folks like Lafayette.

Wagner never was a Nazi, the party didn't come into existence until
long after his death.

beww