[mythtv-users] Myth Jabber bot

James Gutshall Jr warchildx at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 23:08:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
wrote:

> On 03/07/2008 01:47 PM, Ian Barton wrote:
> > Over the last couple of days I have put together a very simple jabber
> > bot. It's designed to do a few simple things to let me check on my Myth
> > box via my mobile phone:
> >
> > * List of last 10 recorded programs.
> > * List of next 10 upcoming recordings.
> > * Per channel listings for the current day
> > * Various bits of information from the Myth backend xml page.
> >
> > You can run it on your backend. However, if you can access your myth
> > database remotely it should run on any system that can run Python. I
> > have tested it with Googletalk and Openfire.
> >
> > In use you simply send send the bot an IM and it replies with whatever
> > status info you requested.
> >
> > Would anyone be interested if I made this generally available? If so how
> > do I go about submitting it to the contrib part of MythTV?
> >
> > This is my first ever Python program, so try to be kind:) One of the
> > reasons for writing it was to learn Python. If anyone wants to help
> > refactor it I can make it available via bzr or svn.
>
> Is it, by any chance, using the Python bindings?  IMH(non-developer)O,
> we should refrain from accepting Perl/Python scripts for contrib if they
> do not use the Perl/Python bindings.
>
> I don't know the current state of the Python bindings to know whether
> they are sufficiently usable to require their use for Python scripts or
> whether they require some additional work before that's feasible.  As
> for the Perl bindings, though, they are definitely sufficiently usable
> in 0.21-fixes/trunk to require their use in scripts.
>
> Mike

According to how I understand it works, it does not touch Mythbackend at
all.  only reading the database directly.  Is there code binding for
database access?  I have similar scripts that I use for voip, etc but access
the DB directly.  please advise for future reference.  If there is a set for
perl (which I like to use rather than python) I would be interested in
finding them for future code projects.
--James