[mythtv-users] "WriteAudio: buffer underrun" SVN. MUST be fixable?

Mark Hutchinson mark at onnow.net
Sat Mar 8 16:31:51 UTC 2008

I have struggled with this for over a month.  Given up on it, and now
back at it.  I have a VERY generic and standard setup, so I cant see
how this could not be fixed when so many others have no issues.

This box is a hack box, so I will try what ever to get this fixed.

So, I shall start from the start.
Hardware:
Core2Duo 4300
2 Gigs RAM
Nvidia 7300 w/ livna drivers
Internal 320 Gig SATA
SB Audigy sound card
Firewire Capture via Firewire
SVN from two days ago. ( /configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-xvmc
  )
Fedora 8
Display is just on a 1280x1024 monitor for now.
Nice and simple setup.  No reason hardware-wise not to work I think.
All within good spec.  Standard stuff.

Channels 200-230 here are HD.  They WORK FINE and video, audio and
such are great.  The lower ones are SD and have very jerky video and
stuttering audio.

I have tried several different playback preferences to not much avail.
On SD live TV or playback from recordings I get streams of this in the
mythfrontend log:
"WriteAudio: buffer underrun"

HOWEVER, if I play that recording with mplayer from a command line
from /video/recordings, it is PERFECT.  So, I dont think it is
actually Nvidia or Audio.  It is how the Internal player is using them.

Lets start here.   I will try what ever settings and report back with
logs.

Guru's, experts, and those willing to try, thoughts on how to fix this?