[mythtv-users] Xine Dropping Frames over 100Mbit NFS Mount

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Sat Mar 8 17:23:29 UTC 2008

I have a MBE (AMD 2200 XP+ (1.8GHz), 1GB memory) running Fedora 7,
2.6.23.15-80.fc7, a SBE (VIA M10K (1Ghz), 1GB memory) running Fedora
7, 2.6.23.15-80.fc7, and a FE (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4Ghz), 2GB
memory) running Fedora 8 latest 64-bit kernel. I view SD movies with
xine by playing isos over 100Mbit ethernet NFS mounts. xine was
chosen because it works best for viewing DVDs on the slowest machine
- the SBE.

Using my remote (ATI Remote Wonder) over lirc on the SBE or FE to
either jump forward or back in a DVD often results in an error
message stating that I have dropped frames. The message takes up the
entire screen and is waiting for me to use the mouse to click OK.
This only happens when I jump forward or back and not in any other
command. Since my SBE and FE do not have a keyboard or mouse and only
have the remote, I have to go to another computer and use VNC to
reset it. Its a major pain.

My xine configuration in myth is only for viewing isos and is:

	xine -pfhq --no-splash -D dvd:/%s

I have looked at the xine docs and there does not seem to be a way to
change its latency expectations from the video stream or suppress the
error message. There also does not seem to be any way to decrease the
latency of the NFS response over the network.

Any ideas on how to resolve this short of spending the money to
upgrade to gigabit ethernet?

-- Mache