[mythtv-users] SA4200HD via 1394, mixed SD and HD

fuzzie1300 fuzzie1300 at optonline.net
Sat Mar 8 22:38:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Mark Staudinger <mark at mark.staudinger.net>
wrote:

> fuzziel300 wrote:
>
> > What's also interesting to note that sometimes I don't reset anything,
> other
> > than maybe a reboot or just turning off SA4250, all of a sudden firewire
> > starts working ok after not working for several weeks.
>
> This is how it used to fail for me - the channel change would work, but
> mythbackend never received a stream - I would see "Warning: No Input in
> XXmsec..." a few times, and then it would give up.  Now, instead of giving
> up on the recording, it will reset the firewire bus and begin streaming
> again.  I still sometimes see the "No Input" messages, but then I get the
> normal "Buffered packets 2000 (8000 KB)" which indicates the stream in
> progress.
>
> I'm not sure if this will work for you, but before BusReset did its magic,
> this was my method, which had about a 75% rate of success.
>
> 1) halt the backend
>
> 2) remove 1394 cable from back of STB
>
> 3) power-cycle the STB (just power off/on on front panel)
>
> 4) when STB is booted, plug in 1394 cable
>
> 4) reboot backend
>
> Also note that my STB had two 1394 ports, and one of them (the inboard
> port) was more reliable, in that it had a slightly higher chance of
> responding to the reboot.
>
> You say you are not running SVN.  That's fine... but are you installing
> from packages, or from source?  If you're installing from source then you
> can at least check linuxfirewiredevice.cpp to see how it handles the
> BusReset function.
>
> FWIW the version I was running previously (which was the first SVN I
> installed that didn't need the BusReset tweaking) was from October 2007.
>
> Cheers
> -=Mark

Thanks, when I am not afraid of throwing out my back I will try this exact
method.

Here's something interesting that just happened.   I am in Cablevision land
on the NJ side.  I see it tried to record at 4:30pm on channel 720 HD "Hard
water 505 World Championships", which has a 0 byte file.  Earlier today it
recorded Hard Water no problem.  It's now recording Channel 48 SD "Grendel"
through firewire.  I started to play Grendel back and it works fine.

I install from packages ...MythDora.  I have the 169 build (svn 14921) from
atrpms.net  from November 20th.