[mythtv-users] Upgrading from FC6 to F8/0.21

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Mar 9 00:24:35 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>
>>> There's no easy direct path from FC6 to 8. You have to go through 7
>>> first. If you want to avoid upgrading so often. you should consider
>>> CentOS.
>> I beg to differ.  I upgraded from FC6 to FC8 by inserting the FC8 dvd,
>> booting, telling it to upgrade, and coming back after dinner.
>
> Oh, I'm glad I'm wrong, then. I tried that and ran into a world of
> trouble. Actually, I think that part went relatively smooth, it's when
> I rebooted and noticed things didn't go so well for me. Then I did a
> yum upgrade and all hell broke loose with missing dependencies and
> whatnot. I ended up backing up configs, reformatting my system and
> installing FC8 from scratch and it was a much better experience. I
> thought I had read that FC6 to 8 was *not* recommended.

Its not recommended, and its not supported by RedHat.  But, it can be
possible.  The Fedora Project Wiki has a page on how to upgrade via yum.
That's not supported or recommended either.  RedHat would prefer that
you upgrade to each release when it becomes available as opposed to
skipping a release.  In truth, you now have to read *both* sets of
release notes to make sure you don't miss some requirement of the new
release.  In fact, RedHat recommends that you always *install* the new
release over the old release in order to have the least amount of
problems.  But, anaconda still has an "upgrade" option.  Its just not
meant for release skipping.  Use it at your own risk.  I do.  B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net