[mythtv-users] TV playback options on 0.21

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sun Mar 9 11:26:06 UTC 2008

Guys,

I have just upgraded from 0.20.2-fixes to 0.21.

wow!

Great work from all the devs, thanks.

But now I feel a bit lost with the TV playback settings. There are just
too many for my limited brain to process. Between the libmpeg2, xvmc,
opengl, the desinterlacers, etc....

I have tried many options, and for the time being settled on the
proposed "High Quality". Others tend to give me flickering OSD.

I am pretty sure that this is not the best/most optimal setting for me
regarding picture quality and CPU usage.

Here is my setup:

      * Myhtbuntu Gutsy with PPA/backport of 0.21 - 64-bit binaries
      * Ubuntu's 2.6.22 kernel with a recent v4l-dvb tree added
      * Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 MHz
      * 1 GB RAM
      * nVIDIA geForce 7100GS 128 MB on PCIe
      * proprietary nvidia driver 1.0.9639
      * TV connection is DVI on the video card, HDMI on the TV
      * TV is a full HD model, driven @ 1920x1080
      * DVB-T (UK Freeview) and DVB-S (Astra 1 French channels) sources

$ cat /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1

$ ls -la /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2007-11-14
08:24 /usr/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.9639

Full info here:
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc

What TV playback settings would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Nico