[mythtv-users] OT B'cast nostalgia, was: Hauppauge in ...

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 22:48:01 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 03:38:17PM -0500, Meatwad wrote:
>> I fondly recall the GE Talaria light valve projector - the original high
>> definition projectors. We had a handful (yah, right) of the 12K's and
>> later, three of the 3LV monsters. A mainstay of large venue projection
>> for decades and used heavily by NASA and the military for simulator screens.
>
> I have seen several Talaria's for sale on eBay; they go for more than
> you'd expect, given what projectors go for these days.
>
> They can outrun the Sharp XC-9000 (to pick an example), or even a
> stacked pair -- but not on price/performace.

Or the 240V/50A mains service required for the
"please-don't-blow-in-front-of-me" high voltage Xenon lamps. Although
that's cost prohibitive for nearly any enthusiast, there are still a few
out there.

The evolution, IIRC, is the Eidophone, <something>, then the Talaria's
followed by the JVC ILA's and the myriad of digital derivatives which
brings us to Sony's CineAlta 4K. 2000:1 at roughly 50,000 cd/m2.
Internal RAID array and UPS. But no Bluetooth according to one critic.

I have a client living in the most unassuming 1800 sq.ft. ranch-style
home who IMO takes first place in do-it-yourself home theatre. While not
teaching film at Chicago's Columbia, he dabbles with an 70's-era 35mm
projector with DD, SDDS and DTS reader/decoders. The 150" Stewart is
viewed from 24 seats salvaged decades ago from the Vic Theatre. He's
done everything himself including acoustical treatments. His wife
pitched in and created a Hollywood soundstage atmosphere as you walk
down the stairs using real lights, an Arriflex on a dolly and some other
grip artifacts from the backlots of the 30, 40's and 50's. As you move
toward the theater doors past the projection room, she transformed the
remaining basement into a classic velvet-rope adorned lobby. Absolutely
jaw dropping. What really knocked my socks off is his collection of 35mm
prints and working footage reaching waaaaay back. Studios routinely call
this guy to track down lost reels.

This is another example of doing it for the passion of the medium and
not what makes economic sense. While Frank has done nearly every last
bit of technical and architectural work on this project and kept costs
pretty reasonable, he brought me in to work with the unique power and
HVAC needs of such a system and collection. Operating this thing is not
cheap. The air conditioning will kick on in the middle of winter when
the projector gets fired up. Anything that generates this much heat
consumes major amounts of electricity, new or old school.

HGTV had a short /Amazing Basements/ segment on his place but I can't
locate the video on the awful website. We've been meaning to do a proper
photo shoot forever but never get a round 'tuit.

--
mw