[mythtv-users] OT B'cast nostalgia, was: Hauppauge in ...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 9 23:15:41 UTC 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Robert Johnston wrote:

> Ah, audio engineering.
>
> I worked as Monitor engineer for The Drifters as they toured the UK a
> while ago. We had quite large power requirements (Obviously), and had
> our own 135A breaker board we used to power our gear. Occasionally,
> the venue couldn't supply that kind of hookup, and we had 62A (And
> 32A) downchangers we could use. The most hairy venue, however, could
> only give us a standard 13A wall socket (You know, the thing you'd
> plug a vacuum cleaner or toaster into). We built a downchanger for
> that (With a nail used in place of the fuse), and carefully turned the
> amps on one at a time, and watched the levels VERY carefully to make
> sure we didn't spike and take out the whole rig. A limiter on the kick
> drum was a must on that gig!

Power was/is always a problem. TV remotes at sports venues were often
problematical, with AC power supplied by "SpikeMaster" brand generators.

The worst was golf remotes, which usually involved more than 30
cameras. Miles of Triax carrying 220 volts and several hundred people
running around wearing spiked shoes was a disaster waiting to happen,
even without the inevitable rain.

Now that I think about it the "Good Old Days" weren't always so good.

beww