[mythtv-users] OT B'cast nostalgia, was: Hauppauge in ...

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 00:14:33 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2008, at 4:57 PM, Meatwad wrote:
>
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> The most memorable concert I can recall had a one-word name:
>>>
>>> Woodstock.
>> It appears that your WayBack machine is of a slightly earlier vintage
>> than mine. I was just growing out of diapers and my parents were
>> pretty
>> square although they did own a Beetle.
>
> Owning a beetle was pretty much normal back then, though I wish I had
> one in good condition today.

I figured as much. About as progressive as they got was Simon and
Garfunkel from the Phillips underdash cassette in the Vista Cruiser,
wood-grain on blue. Clark Griswold all the way.

> Now owning a MicroBus, preferably with a psychedelic paint job, that
> was class :-)
>
> I still describe myself as a "semi-reformed hippy".

So you didn't have to worry about getting your tie sucked into the
chains on those old 1403 line printers, eh?

> Not that I want to get this into a political discussion, but I still
> believe that our generation stopped an unjust war and blew a president
> out of office. More significant than spending 60 hours a week playing
> video games.
>
> But I sure had fun playing Blackjack on a PDP-8, of course I had to
> write the program myself, and settle for "non-statistical pseudo-
> random numbers". 4K of core didn't leave much room to play.

The unix hacks in college would digitize photos and art and use a line
printer to print them out, selective overstriking the same areas until
the proper pixel patterns would emerge. Brilliant form of early hackery.

--
mw