[mythtv-users] OT B'cast nostalgia, was: Hauppauge in ...

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 00:36:23 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:

>> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Not that I want to continue the political discussion, but I still
>>> believe that "your generation" condemned tens of thousands to death,
>> And THAT count doesn't even include the millions in the killing fields
>> of Cambodia, BTW.
>
> WE killed a lot of people in Cambodia too.
>
> Had we stayed the heck out of there (the whole of Southeast Asia) in
> the first place a lot of people would be alive today who aren't.
> Propping up some of the most corrupt regimes in history wasn't such a
> great idea.
>
> I recently bought some sort of textile, and noticed the "Made in Viet
> Nam" label, who would have ever thought?
>
> Heck, let's blame the French, again.

Now, now, this isn't were I thought this thread was heading but we can
all agree that every conflict, across all of time, has had it's share of
dirty secrets and corruption. The victors (and sometimes even the
losers) get to write history, selectively leaving out the bits and
pieces that the common people really wouldn't want to hear about anyway.

It just so happens that the Westerners' current benchmark for truly
heinous war crimes seems to be centered on certain activities in
Northern Europe during the 1930's and 40's. Unless things get "that bad"
the fallout can still be swept under the rug.

Wow. That was a really short trip for Godwin's Law.

--
mw