[mythtv-users] Dell Small Factor Computers

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Mon Mar 10 02:23:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Benjamin Peikes <ben at peikes.com> wrote:
> Mark, what size is the case you're using? Can you give a specific case?
>  Would the setup you're listing allow recording? Does it include a DVD
>  player?
>
>  It would be great if there was a hardware setup "database" where people
>  could post the specs for their systems including costs, capabilities, etc.
>
>  It's hard to believe that if Apple can sell Apple TV units for $250, that
>  someone can't sell MythTV hardware for $500. The only systems I've seen are
>  over $1000, which is a bit insane.

An appleTV has:
-a small harddrive
-no tuner
-no dvd drive
-an all in 1 motherboard

I've made several myth frontends for under $500AU using the ASUS
motherboard (the one that ends in VM, it's a micro board with
component output) and whatever dual core amd chip was $120 or so at
the time.  They're the functional equivilant of an appleTV, but with a
dvd drive.

Tuners are $100 each, though, and hard drive space for REAL storage
can start adding up for a big backend.  That said, though, my backend
cost under $800.