[mythtv-users] Small Form Factor

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Mon Mar 10 09:56:31 UTC 2008

> Perhaps someone could make a "deal" with the folks that make the Shuttle,
> using their overstock when they switch models. I mean please, how is it
> possible that I can't buy a Shuttle that was made 3 years ago for less than
> $500 with all of the hardware....

Because people *want* the macmini and are 'happy' (it's all subjective)
to pay $500 for a refurb.  Considering that's only £250ish... bit of a
steal in my book.   People don't generally want a 3 year old Shuttle *as
much* and thus it's available for a much lower price.   Same with the
AppleTV units.
> Oh well, I had hoped that after 3 years, the MythTV situation would have
> gotten better. I mean what's the benefit between MythTV and getting a
> Windoze machine with Media Edition? It's cheaper to get the Windoze machine.

Well the last version of MCE I tried was 2005 so can't comment on
Vista.  But you know all those cool things you can do in Myth?  Like 4+
tuners, NFS/SMB remote media stores, multiple frontends all working
semi-independently and so on?  Yeah... that never really worked in 2005
and it was a huge kludge to make it do some of that.  Also, you'll find
MCE's hardware requirements are a lot higher than a SD only combined
frontend-backend... but MCE does have extra pretty though.