[mythtv-users] Mysql Data loss and recovery

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 10 15:38:16 UTC 2008

On 03/10/2008 09:33 AM, David Herman wrote:
> All over the weekend, I had some nasty fsck errors which caused 6 of
> my MythTV Mysql Tables to be corrupted.
> To my dismay, my backup crontab job was not firing (it deleted my last
> aged log, but never created the new one).
>
> As such, I had to re-create tables by hand. It would be nice if we
> could create a master SQL script to recreate any missing tables...

Approved solution is:  http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7 .

Yeah, I know you didn't have an existing backup (which would have been
used for http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5).  The 23.7
solution is to make a backup of what survived the filesystem corruption,
then use that partial backup to do a partial restore of the most
important tables.

It also has the benefit of performing a nice spring cleaning of the DB.
And, IMHO, has the /huge/ benefit of forcing you to go back through all
the settings when reconfiguring your system so you can configure it
properly to take advantage of all the nice new settings for the nice new
features that have been added to MythTV since you first started using it
(since most people configure once and then forget it--maybe changing a
couple of big things on upgrade--few long-time users have actually
configured their systems the way they would were they to start over).

Mike