[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Mar 10 20:38:26 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 15:02 -0400, ryan patterson wrote:

> The problem is I am not interested in almost everything you listed.
> All the stuff you listed make using mythbuntu into a huge project
> because I have to figure out what weird setup the mythbuntu guys chose
> to use.  -trunk and -fixes I could care less.  I only want the stable
> release.  That is why I choose to use ubuntu.  I don't want to deal
> with different SVN versions etc.

Let me repeat myself:

        You want MythTV on Ubuntu? fine, get all the necessary stuff
        straight
        from the Ubuntu repositories, including the Mythbuntu Control
        Center.
        Get an upgrade every 6 months in the worst case, sooner if the
        new
        release is considered for the official Ubuntu backports
        repository (and
        it is).

Just don't turn on the backports.

>   Why do they waste time working on a dedicated mythbuntu LiveCD when
> the official ubuntu liveCD works just fine?

As a live frontend?

As a direct way to install a MythTV system?

>   I find MCC is annoying to use and almost always slower then doing
> the task by hand.

Because you know how to do things and like to tinker (and this is not a
bad word in my mouth).

Don't use the MCC. Leave it to less advanced persons.

>   The mythbuntu guys try to hide everything from the user for no good
> reason.

I believe that it is for very good reason. A good deal of users do not
want to know about the details.

My dad can install a Mythbuntu without understanding much of it.

Sure, the people around here already made a step that most non-techies
never will, and will not like the clicky interface.

>   like when I try to run 'mythtv-setup' it actually runs a script that
> kills and starts processes without asking me first.

It asks on mine.

>   Same thing with running mythfrontend.  Why hide it from the user by
> calling it 'mythfrontend.real'?  These hidden scripts don't make
> MythTV easier to use.  They make it more difficult to use because
> MythTV on Unbuntu is different from every other MythTV in the world.

Blame it on Debian and a few other standard that Ubuntu follows, not on
Mythbuntu.

>  So any instructions found in an on-line forum wont work correctly
> etc.

Well, if you are good enough to do things by hand by-passing the easy
stuff, you must understand how things work, and how stuff got adapted,
don't you?

Ah, a tiny bit of "useless efforts, then, I guess.

Sarcasm has started to appear, time to end the post.

Nico