[mythtv-users] Questions prior to 0.21 upgrade

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Mar 11 16:32:58 UTC 2008

On Mar 11, 2008, at 9:21 AM, Derek Stark wrote:

> Good day:
>
> I've got a machine running .20.2 and I'm thinking strongly of
> upgrading to .21 for multirec and the changes to MythVideo/MythDVD.
> However, this is the master BE/FE machine in the house, so I figure I
> better be careful. I have a few questions:
>
> 1. Database
> Is there any major change?

Yes.

> I'll dump the database prior to the upgrade
> to keep Murphy satiated

Good idea.

> but will my 0.20.2 DB make the switch OK?

Yes.

> thought I saw something in the release notes about a schema upgrade
> prompt, but I wasn't sure what that really meant.

It's going to warn you that it will upgrade your database instead of
just doing it. It will also make a backup for you, but I still
recommend making your own backup first. You never know!

> Further, if 0.21 turns out to be bad business for me, will the DB be
> backwards-compatible?

No.

> Again, I'll have the backup, but if I can leave
> MySQL alone, I prefer to.

You'll need to restore from backup if you want to go back to 0.20.

> 2. Mixing & matching versions
> If I chicken out on the upgrade and stay on 0.20.2 on my master BE/FE,
> will I be able to run 0.21 on
> other FE-only boxes?

No. All versions much match. They *must* use the same protocol version
which has had many updates since 0,20.