[mythtv-users] Decent Music Player

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Mar 11 17:32:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:00:18AM -0600, Craig Partin wrote:
> >  > So my question is: Can the mythMusic plugin be configured do behave
> >  > like
> >  > this?
> >  > Or where is the best place to start to write a plugin that does
> >  > this? I
> >  > would really like have a crack at some myth coding...but would be
> >  > happy if
> >  > the functionality already was there.
> >  >
> >  > Thanks for listening,
> >
> >  This is how it works for me right now.
> >
> >  Music Settings>General Settings>second screen
> >  Tree Sorting - I have this set to: splitartist artist album title
> >  Number of Artists Tree Groups - I have this set to Many to give all 26
> >  letters as folders above the Artist
> >  Filename Format -  I have this set to ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACK_TITLE. I
> >  think the default had GENRE before ARTIST, but I don't have my folders
> >  set up like that so I took it out.
> >
> >  You can also choose to ignore the ID3 tags and only get the info from
> >  the directory structure.
> >
> >  This is in 0.21 by the way.
> >

> While my music is in a artist/album directory structure, I also highly
> recommend tagging all of your files. All of the good (IMO) music
> organizers are tag based.  You get a great deal more information
> available to the player and more choices on sorting.  For example I
> make use of the genre field and can easily get to my jazz, or rock
> section depending on mood.

You hardly need id3 tags for that.

They seem rather underutilized (id3 tags that is). Infact
they seem to more often cause trouble as the tags may seem
counter-intutitive given the albums the tracks came on.

I will have to try this id3-tag-ignoring thing and see if
I like mythmusic any better.

I kinda wish that I could use amarok or something along those
lines similar to using xine or mplayer instead of the internal
video player.