[mythtv-users] Monitor/tv calibration?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Mar 11 18:09:32 UTC 2008

Marc Sherman wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips for how I can go about calibrating the various
> brightness/colour settings available on my TV, Myth playback settings,
> and Myth recording settings? I'm having a lot of trouble getting
> everything configured so that both ripped DVDs and programs recorded on
> my pvr-500 look acceptable.

Avia II and Digital Video Essentials are standard calibration tools for TVs:

http://www.ovationmultimedia.com/avia2.html

http://www.videoessentials.com/DVD_NTSC.php

You can either purchase the DVDs on-line, or you can rent them from Netflix.
If rented, they don't come with the color filters, but there's a
solution to that: Ovation Multimedia sells replacement filters for Avia
on-line, so you can just purchase the filters from them. The filters
work with Digital Video Essentials too.

The filters are only required for a few tests, the majority of tests are
black and white.

> For bonus points, something that I'll be able to manage despite the fact
> that I'm slightly colour blind... :)

Well, you may still try the color calibration tests (with the filters)
and see if they make any difference for you.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/