[mythtv-users] Meta: PLEASE trim posts !

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 11 22:10:28 UTC 2008

David Rees wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Mario Limonciello
> <mario.mailing at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  I've got a collection of extensions that  I used on thunderbird to help combat
>>  this.  I don't even notice anymore when someone messes up because of them.
>
> I fail to see how 2 of your 3 suggested Add-ons help the situation.
>
>>  1) Nested Quote Remover
>
> What is the problem with nested quotes? They are quite necessary when
> there are multiple levels of context required when replying.

I just added a couple of plugins, including this one.  I think this one will be
of limited use, though, as it's easy enough to highlight and delete to make
your quotes more selective.

>>  2) Quote colors
>
> This one is very handy.

I didn't bother with this one.  Call me old-school, but I'd rather just have
everything the same color.  The ">"s on the left are enough to identify a quote
block.

>>  3) Quote Collapse
>
> With properly trimmed emails, #3 makes it much more difficult to see
> what is being said, since you are unable to see what the responder is
> talking about.

It works like the block-collapse feature in VS.NET or KDevelop, with
"collapsed" being the default.  It displays the first line of the quote with a
widget to the left that you click to expand to the full quote if you need it.
I think this might be the most useful of the plugins listed, as it hides the
worst of the top-posters' offenses.

   _/_
  / v \ Scott Alfter