[mythtv-users] koolu as a mythbox?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 12 02:31:18 UTC 2008

On Mar 11, 2008, at 7:56 PM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> Has anyone on the list used the koolu (koolu.com) as their
> mythfrontend?
>
> It seems pretty decent, and at $299 and silent with no fan and 80gb
> and 512mb with Ubuntu loaded, seems like a pretty good deal. I've
> heard talk of an apple tv, but this thing seems better than the
> apple tv for myth purposes. You could probably up it to 1gb, add an
> external hard drive and use it as a mythbackend too.

Looks like the device could *theoretically* handle mpeg2 at DVD
resolution, but just about nothing else, and it would take well-
optimized code to do that.

I don't think you could get any "help" from that video chipset.

The spec are vague about how much, if any, RAM is included, it could
be interpreted as telling you the socket type only.

I've also been looking at:

http://kurobox.com/revolution/what.html

Awfully similar names, lawyers: Start Your Briefs !

beww