[mythtv-users] OT: colorblindness

Marc Sherman msherman at projectile.ca
Wed Mar 12 13:56:08 UTC 2008

Robert Johnston wrote:

> Curiously enough, I'm red/green too, but mine seems different to yours.
>
> Looking on a colour wheel, for example, colours with similar
> saturation/value, but differing hues are difficult to tell apart.

It sounds like yours is more severe than mine.

> And, as I'm a web developer, don't ever ask me to come up with a
> colourscheme. :) Layouts are done in primary colours, to be later
> coloured by designers (Who then give me nice, readable, easy-to-use
> RRGGBB colour codes).

Yeah, I don't do much UI work any more, but when I do, I always try to
make things as garish as possible to ensure that product management
gives the colour selection a sober second thought before we release. :)

There was a period about ten years ago when I was working on
colour-correction software. I always had trouble really understanding
the use cases -- it was just a mathematical exercise for me.

> And, is it just me, or do blocks of primary red and primary green
> (#ff0000, #00ff00) placed side-by-side, "Glow" at the join? It's like
> a kind of ringing effect, or halo, on both sides of the join, and it
> hurts.

I see that with red and blue, especially on monitors. It produces a kind
of 3d effect for me, where it seems like one of the colours is slightly
behind the other.

- Marc