[mythtv-users] Multirec performance tests inside

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Mar 12 21:28:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 16:27 +0100, Florian Bittner wrote:
> Surprisingly 15 recordings  (10 paytv + 5 freetv) + mythcommflag ( 1 rec) + 1
> frontend watching a recording work perfectly, too. The values are almost the
> same. And no stutter.
>
> But don't start 15 recordings at the same time, mythbackend crashed :-) But
> after a restart it started 14 rec instantly, only 1 got lost.

We set the GUI config limit to 4, as you will start to see problems
after that, depending on hardware of course. Note also that while you
can set this as high as you want, rescheduling time will grow with the
number of recorders in x^2, on average. Some recording rules actually
grow faster.

You should really set it just high enough that you don't lose any
recordings that you would otherwise lose. Two or three is usually
sufficient.

When stress testing we used values between 8 and 10, going beyond that
is at your own risk, actually going beyond 4 is at your own risk, but
up to about 8 you are relatively safe.

Also please remember that capture cards sometimes limit you to one or
two paytv streams. You should not set the value > than the number of
pay streams your card can handle, because you may lose some recordings
if you do.

-- Daniel