[mythtv-users] LiveTV limited number of channels

Paul Mason latepaul at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 00:05:59 UTC 2008

On 12/03/2008, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

> > > OK. My impression is that there should have been more channels then. I
> > > should have seen all channels on the same multiplex as Film4 right?
> >
> > It should display all channels that are configured for the particular
> > tuner thats in use. Ideally, that would be  everything it's capable of
> > receiving, but maybe you don't have them all setup. Try the following:
> > Run the mythtv-setup program, go into the Input Connections, and see
> > what video source is attached to that tuner. Then go into the Channel
> > Editor section. This will display all the channels on your system, but
> > down below there is a box where you can choose to filter it by a
> > single video source. Do that and then look at the list of available
> > channels. If you don't see all the channels, that may be your problem.
> > However, if you see channels listed that you aren't able to browse to
> > on that tuner, then I'm not sure.
> >
> > The only other thing I can think of is what you guessed....maybe all
> > your tuners were being monopolized by recordings and it was only
> > showing you what could be tuned on that multiplex.
>

> This can happen if a scheduled recording hi-jacks your tuner.

I'm not sure "hi-jack" is the right word since the scheduled recording was
there first. I came along once the recording was already taking place and
tried to watch livetv.

If there
> are other channels available on another tuner you can still type them
> in and switch directly to that channel, they just don't show up in
> browse mode.

I just tested this. I have 2 tuners (I have a Hauppage Nova-T 500) but if
there's already a recording taking place I can only view channels on the
same multiplex. This is true whether I browse or type the channel number.
Typing an "unavailable" channel number has no effect.

The only way I've found to view a channel on another multiplex is to start
recording it and view the recording.

All the channels show up in the EPG however and the ones
> you can't currently tuner are marked. (I believe the marking depends on
> the theme you are using.)

I just tried all the default themes - Blue, G.A.N.T., Iulius, Minimalist,
Mythcenter, Retro and Titivillus - in none of them could I see any
difference between the available and unavailable channels in the program
guide. What specifically am I looking for?

For reference, I'm running 0.21-fixes 16469

--
Paul Mason