[mythtv-users] PXE Network Boot

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 03:23:33 UTC 2008

Ok,

So i have spent a few hours tonight following this guide:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Diskless_Frontend

1.  I have so far set up VMware Server to test with. also install tftp
server.

2.  For my DHCP server i use DD-WRT, i put this option in DNSmasq Options:
dhcp-boot=linux-install/pxelinux.0,,192.168.0.202
      where .202 is my server that holds the NFS files (F8).

3.  then configured my /diskless/i386/F8/root and /snapshot directories.
Then i ran system-config-netboot.  and pointed it to my nfs share points.
that went and gave no erros.

4.  tftp look like this:

[root at mythtv linux-install]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/tftp
# default: off
\
#       protocol.  The tftp protocol is often used to boot diskless \
#       workstations, download configuration files to network-aware
printers, \
#       and to start the installation process for some operating systems.
service tftp
{
        disable = no
        socket_type             = dgram
        protocol                = udp
        wait                    = yes
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
        server_args             = -s /tftpboot -v
        per_source              = 11
        cps                     = 100 2
        flags                   = IPv4
}
[root at mythtv linux-install]#

So, when i start my VM machine i see it get a IP then look to the tftp
server.  i then get a page that says "Welcome to the Red Hat Network
Installer, Enter the # for the OS you want to  install."

So why am I get a OS install?  I want to boot diskless!  In my
system-config-netboot i configured for a diskless and have a profile created
named mythfe.

help please!

Thanks,
Mitchell