[mythtv-users] .21 frontend problems

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 12:28:59 UTC 2008

Good morning all,

I just updated my Mythtv system to .21 (from the Ubuntu Gutsy Backports
repository) and I'm having mixed results.  On one of my frontends, most
everything seems to work, but graphics on the screen are "shaky" in some
cases.  Specifically, when watching news shows, the on-screen text and
graphics look like the edges are moving up and down a few pixels.  It seems
to be independent of the color, and display (this is on a dual head system,
and I switched monitors to check that).  This is running on Ubuntu
7.10i386, Pentium D
3.0ghz, nVidia GeForce 7900GT, 3.0GB DDR2 667mhz.  This machine does not use
XVMC.

On my other frontend, I'm having a different problem.  On this machine, I'm
able to watch videos just like I could before (using the Internal Player)
but Live TV and recordings peg my processor and everything slows to a crawl.
Audio skips, and frames are dropped.  This machine runs Mythbuntu P4 1.7ghz,
1.25gb DDR ram, nVidia FX5200 and runs as a dedicated front end.  I have it
set to use XVMC.

I'm recording SD Analog Cable from 2 PVR-500's and 1 PVR-250.  Connection is
via 100mbit LAN.

Both machines worked well under MythTV .20.2, and I have not changed any
configuration files.  I'm running the latest nVidia drivers from the Ubuntu
Repositories (which I know have issues in some cases, but nothing to
indicate these problems as far as I know). Everything worked well before the
update (well, there were occasional frontend crashes, etc. but it worked
well enough) and all I did was enable the Gutsy Backport repositories and
allowed the machines to update themselves.  I had to manually upgrade the
video plugin, since it replaces the DVD plugin (it didn't do that
automatically for me).  Otherwise, I don't see where I could have
specifically made a change to cause these problems.

I recalled seeing a thread a few weeks ago about high CPU loads, but the end
of that concluded with installing the latest SVN build, which I would assume
the .21 release would include any benefits included there.

I guess that got a little long....sorry if that's too much detail.  Any help
would be appreciated.

- Josh