[mythtv-users] best USB video capture (composite & audio)

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Mar 13 16:53:58 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 23:28:11 OCG Technical Support wrote:
> I have a simply video cam (mono audio, composite video) which I want to
> feed to my Linux system.  No surprise, I can find any manufacturer bragging
> about Linux support.

I've got a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 (not to be confused with the lesser
Hauppauge WinTV-USB2). For details, check the MythTV wiki entry on the
device, which I wrote (it's got some updates from others now, too):

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2

This device produces an MPEG-2 stream, and you can use it from MythTV much
like the popular Hauppauge PVR-150/250/350/500 series. One caveat is that not
all features are adjustable from MythTV. Most notably, MythTV's recording
bitrate options don't work. You can adjust the bitrate from the command line,
but MythTV can't do it. If you want to fine-tune quality and size of
recordings, you'll have to do it either by recording at a higher quality and
then transcoding after the fact or by making manual adjustments between
recordings.

--
Rod Smith