[mythtv-users] can't get into mythweb

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu Mar 13 21:43:46 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Brad DerManouelian
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:59 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] can't get into mythweb

On Mar 13, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

Hello all, i can't get into mythweb. I was discussing the top under another
form topic, but it just didn't fit the topic.

I am able to get into mythfrontend just fine, and i have php myadmin setup
(locally) and it get's in no prob using the root's account and password.
However, i noticed that i can't get into mysql from the command line using
the same mythtv user or the root user. So i am thinking that my mythweb
problem is related to that somehow.

Right now, when i open up my mythweb url in my browser, it asks for the user
and pass, so my apache settings are somewhat correct, then i get in and get

Database Access Denied

You are most likely receiving this message because you
have failed to configure mythweb's database login info.

Please see INSTALL for instructions.

I have check over the install instructions like 20 times. I just am lost.

Please advise
-Thanks
-Steve

You are likely not allowing mysql connections from the hostname that apache
is reporting. If you don't know your hostname, check your mysql/apache logs
to see why it's denying access.
Or it could be something as simple as using the wrong password (assuming
you've changed it from the default "mythtv" you need to also change it in
your config file for apache.

mysql> grant all privileges on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"hostname" identified
by 'mythtv_password' with grant option;

will likely fix your problem.

-Brad

OK, i tried literally doing this at the command line:

mysql> grant all privileges on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"hostname" identified
by 'mythtv_password' with grant option;

didn't get an error or anything, but it didn't work. About 3 weeks ago i was
using mythweb just fine when i had the ubuntu packages for mythtv installed.
I then decided, how bout I go and build it from the svn so i can learn to do
some linux building (I'm still pretty new to linux). Since then my mythweb
has not worked, though i got the rest of myth working just fine (so far).

OK, also, i was just able to get into mysql using the root user. I'm not
sure why it didn't work before. Using the mythtv user does not work still.
Also, i found this command on the mythtv site:

mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('mythtv') WHERE user='mythtv';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> quit

But after running the first line i get this message:
ERROR 1046 (3D000) : No database selected

So i tried to log into the mysql database not the mythconverg database, and
got this error when trying the same commands:

Query OK, 2 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Rows matched: 4  Changed: 2  Warnings: 0

I think that means it was successful...but i could be wrong.

Mythweb is still not working though and i get the exact same database access
denied error.

I really don't even think it's this, but I'm out of options at this point so
that's why i'm trying to just change the password. My frontends have no
problem connecting with the default mythtv user passwords.

Any other ideas at what this issue could be?
-Thanks
-Steve