[mythtv-users] LiveTV limited number of channels

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Mar 13 21:58:12 UTC 2008

Stephen Robertson wrote:
>>> Note that Y and C behavior have changed:
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/279327#279327
>>>

> I'm maybe just being slow but I'm not quite sure I'm understanding
> this.  Also my setup(2 x Nova-T cards using OTA data) is quite simple
> so maybe that makes it less clear to me.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> "Source" is the channel listing, in my case the EIT data.
> "Input" is the physical tuner card?

Let me trot out my new favorite ASCII graphic from

|     |  |HD/Cable STB  |=--.          +-----||||||||||||
|     |  +--------------+   | s-video ------------------+
|     |                     `---------=|        input 2 | Digital
|wall |               coax             | Card 2         |
|=---=^=------------------------------=|        input 3 | Cable
|                                      +-----||||||||||||

When you ran mythtv-setup, you set "Video sources" for the
service provider(s) that each have a set of channels that you
can receive at an input. In "Input connections", you told your
system which of these 'video source' sets of channels you can
receive on which inputs of which cards.

If I chose "Watch TV" from mythfrontend, it would hijack ;-)
an input that is not currently in use but, most likely, the
scheduler has already planned to eventually use =).

Assuming none of these inputs are currently recording, it would
choose Card 1 which only has one input. Therefore, I would see
the current channel for input 1 from my "HDTV" source which may
be The Discovery Channel's DSCHD. I could use the up and down
keys or type channel numbers for other HD channels over firewire
and again use this input.

Note: a video source is the set of channels you could receive
at an input. These channels may have listings, however, I could
connect a VCR to the composite input of card 2. I would create
a "VCR" source and a channel 4 with callsign "VCR" using the
Channel Editor. Tuning to "4" would show the VCR's output. The
"VCR" source is the set of channels that I can receive at my
card 2 composite input (or some other input if I plugged this
VCR in elsewhere or plugged in another VCR on another card) and
there are no TV listings or grabbers associated with this source
or the channel(s) for this source.

>> From the above link:
> * "Y" is now mapped to "NEXTSOURCE"
> * "C" is mapped to "NEXTINPUT" which replaces "TOGGLEINPUTS"

If I pressed why?xxxx "Y", I would switch to another input
associated with the next video source. In this case from HDTV(1)
to Digital(2). Input 2 may have also been tuned to The Discovery
Channel because I like MythBusters, however, this source has
the Pacific timezone NTSC version for digital cable DSCP. Up,
down and number could change to other digital cable channels.

If I were to keep pressing "Y", it would switch between video
sources Cable->HDTV->Digital->Cable->HDTV... However I'll press
"C" instead to switch between inputs on the card. For card 1,
this would do nothing but I'm on the s-video input of card 2.
"C" switches to the next input on this card which is input 3
from "Cable". DSCP again? But this time with subtle patterns
of RF interference. Tapping "C" shows coax->s-video->coax...
Or assuming I'd configured a VCR for the composite input,
coax->composite->s-video->coax->composite...

--  bjm