[mythtv-users] LiveTV limited number of channels

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Mar 13 22:48:14 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> I'm maybe just being slow but I'm not quite sure I'm understanding
>>> this.  Also my setup(2 x Nova-T cards using OTA data) is quite simple
>>> so maybe that makes it less clear to me.
>>>
>>> Is this correct?
>>>
>>> "Source" is the channel listing, in my case the EIT data.
>>> "Input" is the physical tuner card?
> <removed lots of good explanation>
>>>>
>>> * "Y" is now mapped to "NEXTSOURCE"
>>> * "C" is mapped to "NEXTINPUT" which replaces "TOGGLEINPUTS"
>>>
>> If I pressed why?xxxx "Y", I would switch to another input
>> associated with the next video source. In this case from HDTV(1)
>> to Digital(2). Input 2 may have also been tuned to The Discovery
>> Channel because I like MythBusters, however, this source has
>> the Pacific timezone NTSC version for digital cable DSCP. Up,
>> down and number could change to other digital cable channels.
>>
>> If I were to keep pressing "Y", it would switch between video
>> sources Cable->HDTV->Digital->Cable->HDTV... However I'll press
>> "C" instead to switch between inputs on the card. For card 1,
>> this would do nothing but I'm on the s-video input of card 2.
>> "C" switches to the next input on this card which is input 3
>> from "Cable". DSCP again? But this time with subtle patterns
>> of RF interference. Tapping "C" shows coax->s-video->coax...
>> Or assuming I'd configured a VCR for the composite input,
>> coax->composite->s-video->coax->composite...
>
> And, if--like me--you have one source (I have OTA), multiple cards (I
> have 4), and only one input used on each, you'll need to map a key to
> the new NEXTCARD binding to allow you to switch from one card to another
> (since you don't have multiple inputs in use on any card and you don't
> have additional sources).

And if you have 9 inputs on seven cards from 3 sources and 2 two
cards with more than one input from different sources and 3 input
groups for cable boxes near 3 backend hosts, you may want to bind
NEXTCARD to "Y" and "NEXTSOURCE" to Ctl-Y like me =).

One thought I've had is to enter a number much like a channel
number so that "5 Y" switches to card 5. Currently I have to
go through a series of Y's and C's to get to a specific input.

--  bjm