[mythtv-users] digital cable with comcast/cupertino: use DCH3200/firewire or HD-HomeRun?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 05:53:51 UTC 2008

Marc,
I live in San Jose.  I get about 95% of all my channels via firewire on two
DCH-3200s (which Comcast SJ is totally out of, BTW).  I know people in
Foster City, Palo Alto, and SF that all get about the same as I do via
firewire.  We do really well compared to what most people get in the US.  I
am able to get all my HD channels (Discovery, Universal, etc) except for HBO
HD.  I intend to add a Comcast HD-PVR when they are released for the couple
of channels I don't get.  Channel 705 (CBS HD) is also 5C'ed on the box for
some reason.

For my money (and indeed, exactly what I do) the best solution is both a
firewire box for everything besides Network TV and a QAM capable card or box
like the HD 5500 or HDHomeRun for Network TV.  I set my QAM card to a
slightly higher priority than the firewire so that network TV stuff is
*always* recorded there, and so in most recording cases (LOST, Heroes, Law
and Order, etc., etc.) I can still pull up the firewire box and watch
everything.  I watch and record a lot of stuff on Universal HD and Discovery
HD, and those channels are rock solid and unencrypted via firewire for me in
South SJ.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Robert