[mythtv-users] Goodbye Analog!

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Fri Mar 14 07:33:23 UTC 2008

Nicolas Will wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 02:31 -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:
>> Had to bypass the default/mixed-digital/$FOO setup in alsa to get one
>> station playing audio (it's broadcast in mono and myth/alsa couldn't
>> grok it correctly.  Piping the audio straight to the hardware worked)
>
> Ah, I'm interested!
>
> I have DVB-S and EuroNews. EuroNews broadcasts a ton of languages, but
> they are all in mono.
>
> My system only used ALSA:Spdif, and I guess the mono thing confuses
> something in the chain (Myth, ALSA, my amp).
>
> How do you deal with this?

Changed the output devices.

Audio output device is ALSA:Plug:iec958
Passthrough output device is ALSA:iec958:{AES0 0x02}

These settings, as I understand it, bypasses any ALSA hardware
abstraction and sends the data straight to the sound card driver.

On my system, this means that if Myth is running, it takes over the
sound card.  Nothing outside of myth will be able to send any sound to
the card, it all goes to the bit bucket.

OF course, part of my problem may be that aplay -l reports the card as a
Dell OEM card, when I got it from a retail SB box.  I've got an older
card laying around to try, I've just been kinda scared to mess with it
since it is working now.  :-)