[mythtv-users] Goodbye Analog!

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Fri Mar 14 07:40:28 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:31:15AM -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:
>> I've only run into a pair of downsides to going all digital:
>>
>> Recordings take up even more room that before (at least in my case)
>
> If you're SD, then this shouldn't happen -- direct-digital MPEG2 files
> of network shows, for example, tend (when we acquire them from Sources
> Which Shall Not Be Named) to run around 300MB per half hour.

*snip*

One would think so on SD programs, but it does.

The only thing I can think of is that I had the compression level turned
up higher on the old analogue card than what the local stations are
sending out on the digital side.

Checking the recording profiles under DVB hardware encoders, there isn't
an option for setting the compression level, so I can't check to see if
my theory is correct or not.  Normal, Live TV, low and high, none of
them have any settings for the bitrate or what-have-you like the old
analogue card did.

Not that I care really.  It would be nice to make the kids shows smaller
in size, but it's not a critical issue either (if anything, it's a way
to help justify the hardware expense for new kit with my wife. Heh).  I
remember watching a rebroadcast on the digital side and marveling at all
the detail that I had missed from the original recording.  :-)