[mythtv-users] Getting Irwatch.pl to work

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Mar 14 13:19:52 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Steve Wilson <mythtv_arizona at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  I fast forwarded an hour show to the end then when I
>  tried to skip to the beginning of the show nothing
>  happened.
>
>         #skip to the beginning if the user holds down
>  skipback
>         if(isButton([$haup, 'page-down', 1], [$tivo,
>  'skipback', 1]) && inPlayback())
>         {
>                 sendMythCommand('play seek beginning');
>                 next;
>         };
>
>  I assume I had to change the '' next to the $haup to
>  an actual button that was in my .lircr file which I
>  did with the page down button which is called
>  button=page-down in the lircr file.

No, you don't want to use the value mapped in .lircrc, but rather the
value specified in lircd.conf. If you are unsure, the easiest way is
to open a shell, run the irw command, press the button on the remote
you want, and the name of that button will be printed on the command
line (along with the name of the remote and some other info).

Also, since the skip to end feature (among other features in irwatch)
uses the network control port, you will have to make sure it's been
turned on in mythfrontend (default is for it to be turned off) and
that it's its on the expected port (default is 6546...if you want it
on a different port, you will need to update the corresponding code in
irwatch.pl).

>  Also, I assume I had to change this to the name of my
>  remote that is specified in the lirc.conf file.
>
>  my $haup = lc('Motorola_DRC200');
>
>  I don't have a name specified in my .lircr file. I
>  only have one remote so I left the $tive variable as
>  is.

yes, that is the correct thing to do. If you have multiple remotes you
want to use, it may be more meaningful to change the variable names to
match your remote names. The variables $haup and $tivo are just named
that because they represent my Hauppauge remote and my TiVo remote.
But it may be best if you get things working before you start changing
those (and possibly miss something).

--
Ron