[mythtv-users] using telnet to improve mythtv menus

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Fri Mar 14 21:56:58 UTC 2008

Hello all, I had the idea lately to use telnet to improve my mythtv menu.

I've got lots of recordings that i've been archiving away, like season
series (all from live tv recordings). I wanted to clean up the watch
recordings screen so that we could choose from the menu which type of
recordings to view (we have "myth wish", "default", and "archived" as the
options)

I checked out this page in the wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Creating_a_TV_Bouquet to help me with
my ideas.

When you hit watch recordings it now goes to an xml menu that has 3 options:

watch recordings
new recordings
tv show archives

The xml file looks like this:
<mythmenu name="MAIN">
   <button>
      <type>TV_WATCH_RECORDINGS</type>
      <text>All Recordings</text>
      <action>TV_WATCH_RECORDING</action>
   </button>
  <button>
      <type>TV_WATCH_RECORDINGS</type>
      <text>New Recordings</text>
      <action>EXEC /home/steve/Desktop/mythscripts/newrecordings.sh</action>
   </button>
  <button>
       <type>TV_WATCH_RECORDINGS</type>
      <text>TV Show Archives</text>
      <action>EXEC
/home/steve/Desktop/mythscripts/archivedrecordings.sh</action>
   </button>

</mythmenu>

The newrecordings.sh file looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
#This takes you to the New (Default) Recordings
echo "jump playbackbox" | telnet 192.168.1.3 6546
echo "key n" | telnet 192.168.1.3 6546
#sleep is used cause it takes a while to get into the watch recordings view
sleep 2
echo "key enter" | telnet 192.168.1.3 6546
#again, sleep is used incase it takes time to pop up the menu
sleep 0.5
#Pageup brings you to the top of the menu
echo "key pageup" | telnet 192.168.1.3 6546
echo "key pageup" | telnet 192.168.1.3 6546
echo "key pageup" | telnet 192.168.1.3 6546
#down down get's you to default
echo "key down" | telnet 192.168.1.3 6546
echo "key down" | telnet 192.168.1.3 6546
echo "key enter" | telnet 192.168.1.3 6546
exit 0

My issue is that it doesn't seem to work from the myth gui, but works
perfectly from the command line.

If I can get this to work, i'll create more menues so i can do something
like this: TV Show Archives > The Simpsons > Season 1

Then i'll do a movies one where you can choose the genre right in the xml
menu file.

I just find this easier than pressing the "n" button ("enter" on my remote),
and i think the waf factor will go way up, especially for the movies, cause
we have a couple hundred movies and it's often hard to find a movie to
watch.

Any ideas?
-Thanks
-Steve