[mythtv-users] Anyone using RocketRAID?

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Fri Mar 14 23:06:04 UTC 2008

Theoretically Raid6 with 4 drives would work.

However, Raid 10 would make more sense, give almost the same reliability and
probably over twice the speed, with the same disk space.

(Raid 6 would require 3 disk failures, Raid 10, /could/ survive two disk
failures if they occur on different mirrors. Murphy's law says they
wouldn't, but what is the REAL chance of you not replacing a single disk
before the second one fails, or you getting a media error).
Raid 6 on a small number of drives is really just a marketing play in my
opinion, unless you use cheap and nasty disks.
Gareth