[mythtv-users] using telnet to improve mythtv menus

Marc Sherman msherman at projectile.ca
Fri Mar 14 23:27:42 UTC 2008

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> My issue is that it doesn't seem to work from the myth gui, but works
> perfectly from the command line.

You're hitting a deadlock; the telnet interface won't execute until the
menu processing completes, but the menu processing won't complete until
the telnet interface finishes executing.

To resolve it, you have to have the script run in the background, so
that the menu processing completes before the script finishes running.

Here is the script that I use to show the "Kids" recgroup:

#!/bin/bash
echo "jump playbackrecordings
key down down enter
quit" | nc localhost 6546 &

The & at the end runs it in the background, so that the script exits
before netcat does.

Note that I have myth configured to show the recgroup selector always on
entry to the playback recording screen, to avoid the delay required to
bring up the popup menu.

- Marc