[mythtv-users] Syncing Minimyth with a backend

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sun Mar 16 17:45:02 UTC 2008

Mike Perkins wrote:
> Paul Bender wrote:
>> Mike Perkins wrote:
>>> I have just put together a new Media Centre-style host[1] I intend to use as a
>>> dedicated front-end which will diskless boot. I decided to choose Minimyth as
>>> the operating system for this.
>>>
>>> I already run a LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project) server so adding Minimyth
>>> should'nt have been a problem, and apart from the usual configuration cockups I
>>> am mostly there.
>>>
>>> However, I have come to a halt with respect to connecting it to the existing
>>> Mythtv network, which is, the potential protocol/version mismatch. I wanted to
>>> sort out the Minimyth side of things first and then do my upgrade to 0.21 based
>>> on whatever that built as.
>>>
>>> I have built from Minimyth 0.21.0-42, which says that it is based on svn 16483.
>>> My first question (to Paul) therefore is, which svn? Trunk? Fixes? My second (to
>>> Mike Dean) is, can I just pull this svn version from Trunk/Fixes/Wherever and
>>> use it to upgrade the rest of my systems so that they are all compatible?
>>>
>>> Currently running Trunk svn 14033.
>> Per <http://linpvr.org/minimyth/>, it is "MythTV
>> <http://www.mythtv.org/> 0.21.0 with fixes
>> <http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes> through
>> SVN 16483".
>>
>> Also, there is a version of MiniMyth with MythTV 0.20.2 + fixes.
>>
>> To be sure that everything works correctly, you should use the exact
>> same MythTV versions on all you hosts. However, you should be able to
>> use it with
>> <http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes>. In
>> addition, if you are using packages, then you should be able to using
>> MiniMyth with any MythTV 0.21 packages. I use MiniMyth on my frontends
>> and ATrpms' MythTV packages on my backend.
>>
> See, that's my problem. How can I use the exact same version as Minimyth when
> the version of Myth used is buried within the Minimyth release. It's not that
> easy for us punters to find the appropriate matching svn. I have, incidentally,
> built my current systems from source svn since my distribution (Mandriva) lagged
> behind on certain fixes I needed.
>
> I should have added to my OP: Since the Minimyth distribution does not contain
> back end code, and Mike Dean says all systems should be built from identical
> code, this makes connecting any Minimyth box to any back end quite awkward.
>
> Perhaps one solution would be to publish a tarball of the /complete/ svn
> snapshot used to base the current version of Minimyth on. I did look, but
> couldn't find such a beast anywhere.

As I mentioned, I use MiniMyth with ATrpms' MythTV packages. I have no
problems. Likewise, others use it with there respective distributions
packages without problems. The only time I have had problems when the
MythTV protocol version changed on the stable releases fixes branch (I
think is was early in 0.20).

You can check out the version of MythTV used in your MiniMyth binary
from <http://svn.mythtv.org/>. You can find the exact version of MythTV
you are running looking at either the MiniMyth changelog or by pointing
your web browser at your MiniMyth frontend.

Also, compliance with GPL requires that source code be made available to
those that receive the binary. As a result, you can download the sourc
code tarballs for all GPL and LGPL licensed software used in the binary
MiniMyth versions available for download. The link can be found on the
MiniMyth download page <http://linpvr.org/minimyth/download.shtml>. The
link is <http://linpvr.org/minimyth/download/garchive/>.

MythTV is licensed under the GPL. Therefore, its source code tarballs
can be found at this location. These MythTV tarballs contain all the
software, not just the software needed to build mythfrontend.

MiniMyth does contain some patches against MythTV. However, these are
very unlikely to impact backend compatibility. However, the patches can
be found in the gar-minimyth-{version}.tar.bz2 file that is in the same
directory as the binary tarball.