[mythtv-users] .21 CPU loads - is there any hope in sight?

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 02:31:49 UTC 2008

> Josh,
>
> MMX is enabled on any of the 0.21 builds (gutsy-backports and hardy).
>  Your most
> likely loss is the deinterlacer.  The defaults have changed in 0.21, so
> look
> into trying out different ones.
>
> --
> Mario Limonciello
> mario.mailing at gmail.com

I'm aware of the deinterlacer default changes.  I'm running with no
deinterlacer at all, since all of my displays are interlaced (so what's the
point?), and still CPU loads are beyond the capabilities of most of my
machines.

I actually added my own set of playback rules (or whatever you call that),
that have only one setting, just like it was in .20.2 (since I'm only
playing 1 type of recording, from 2 PVR-500's and a PVR-250 which generate
the same type of file) which is to run with standard XVMC (on my nVidia
eqipped machines) and to use the Mac accelerated video on my Macs. It is
better than running with "standard", but still not enough.  I've tried every
other reasonable setting combination, but to no avail(I didn't try any of
the directx settings, since none of my machines are windows based...I
presume that's for future development, I wasn't aware any frontends
currently working on windows machines) .

So I think I've exhausted all configuration settings from within myth as the
solution, so unless there's some new xorg.conf tweaks that need to be set
differently than the settings I had that worked with .20.2, then I think
it's just a case of the hardware requirements going up, and my stuff is just
too slow.  If that's the case, then I guess I have some hardware to sort
out.  I could swap my 2.8ghz P4 from my backend with my 1.7ghz P4 from my
frontend, and just settle for slower commercial flagging (which wouldn't be
an issue for me), and then I'll just have to replace my 800mhz G4 frontend
with something else.  I have an old 2.8ghz celeron laptop that overheats in
it's current case, and I was toying with the idea of putting the innards in
another case (probably home made or highly modified standard case) and
seeing if that would work for a frontend (does anyone have any tips for such
a procedure?).  I'm sure I'll manage.