[mythtv-users] splashy + nvidia + framebuffer

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Mar 17 11:46:10 UTC 2008

> Has anyone any success in getting splashy running with the nvidia evil
>  binary module?
>
>  I can't even get the framebuffer working.
>
>  I've built a 2.6.24 kernel with vesafb built in.  The system boots but
>  vga=791 gives me an unknown video mode.

The nvidia binary really doesn't have anything to do with it. I was
able to install splashy onto a bare bones debian 2.6.24 machine.
Literally, bare bones. I deselected EVERY option during the install,
did an apt-get update and dist-upgrade, installed openssh, then
splashy. Everything worked fine. It was only after I got it all
working that I then installed the nvidia driver. This was a machine
with a nvidia 7100 on the motherboard.

Have you tried any other video modes than just 791? Here are some
different modes:

resolution = 8bit / 15bit / 16bit / 24bit
640x480 = 769 / 784 / 785 / 786
800x600 = 771 / 787 / 788 / 789
1024x768 = 773 / 790 / 791 / 792
1280x1024 = 775 / 793 / 794 / 795

You don't have to use the same resolution or bit depth for booting as
you do for X.

>  Scanning for modes returns only text modes; no video fb modes.

I presume the above modes wont work then, but I suppose its worth a
shot to try a couple others.

>  I must be missing some magic incantation that will enable kernel
>  framebuffer support.....

It must be very specific to your video card, because I just used a
basic debian testing install. The only boot options I added were
"vga=792 splash"

What is the source of your debian install? Is it possible you got a
nightly build that had some problems?....Actually, I see you mentioned
building the kernel. Have you tried it with a default kernel? If not,
give it a try. Maybe you missed something in your rebuild.

--
Ron