[mythtv-users] 0.21 and database corruption/how to rebuild and update from backup

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Mon Mar 17 20:56:15 UTC 2008

Hi all -

I just did the upgrade from 0.20.2 to 0.21 via rpm yesterday.

So far, I have to say that I'm impressed with some of the new features.
MythWeb is very nicely done, Weather seems to work (though I'm getting
erroneous temperature data from the Beeb's website for the "current
conditions" - but that's not a Myth issue).  I like the fact that the DVB
channel scan now ignores encrypted channels.

However, I'm glad that I backed up my entire system (except the recordings
themselves) before doing the upgrade.

I use two pcHDTV 5500 cards, along with FireWire and the S-Video from my
STB (since the FireWire only gives me the same unencrypted channels as the
raw cable).

Therefore, I have three separate "video sources" all from the same
Schedules Direct channel list - "Clear", "Analog" (for the analog tuners,
obviously), and "All channels" (for the S-video off the STB).

Well, after the upgrade, all three of the sources had ALL of the
channels...the only thing I can figure is that mythfilldatabase ran
without the "delete new channels" option.

Rather than manually deleting channels, I tried clearing the entire
channel database and rescanning.  However, re-assigning all of the DVB
channels and XMLTV IDs is becoming very tiring.  Is there any (relatively
easy) way I can copy my backup (0.20.2) mythconverg database back into the
new installation and then upgrade to the new schema (after adding "delete
new channels" to the mythfilldatabase directive in Setup)?  Before
upgrading, I simply backed up the files with rsync.

Thanks in advance -
Bob