[mythtv-users] Archos Video Formats ?????

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Mon Mar 17 22:20:16 UTC 2008

On Mon Mar 17, 2008 at 03:51:55PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> TigerDirect is advertising an Archos 504 multi-media player for $129.
>
> The Advert claims it supports "all popular video formats, including:
>
> MEPG-41, WMV2, H2643, MPEG-24 and VOB4."
>
> I have never heard of any of those formats. I suspect they are
> "popular" only with someone trying to sell this device, or perhaps
> it's just a bad job of proofreading the video format names?
>
> Anyone have any information? It might make a nice companion to a Myth
> system if it could actually play some video format that originated on
> planet earth.

You could try looking at the Archos web site - plenty of details on the
device there.  Supports MPEG-4 ASP (or so they claim - they may mean
DiVX only though) and WMV out of the box.  You need to download (and
probably pay for) codecs for H.264, MPEG-2 and VOB.  Looks like a lot of
the functionality requires the "optional DVR Station" (i.e. cough up
some more cash).

I'd avoid it.

Cheers,
        Robin