[mythtv-users] Playback Profiles? WTF?!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 18 16:37:23 UTC 2008

On 03/18/2008 02:41 AM, Jon wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2008, at 6:31 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 03/17/2008 10:31 AM, Jonny B wrote:
>>
>>> I would suppose the community at large (those in the know) should
>>> write it. The wiki is a great place to go for hardware
>>> configuration, and getting things 'working' usually.... but
>>> there's hardly any actual usage docs.
>>>
>> Thank you for the introduction, Johnny.  My name is Mike, and I'm
>> hoping you (or anyone else reading this thread) can help me out.  I
>> requested--a couple of times, now--that some users (who are wiki-
>> literate) start up a page for users to "compare" playback
>> profiles.  The purpose would be to provide some documentation for
>> this very complex configuration item in Myth... :)
> Google is your friend. Wiki is easy to learn, and I wouldn't be
> surprised if there's something on the myth wiki explaining how to
> edit. I would love to add some info, but right now I have a hard
> enough time getting my updates and whatnot done in my 'spare' time.
> One day I do intend to work on documentation, but currently there
> isn't room on my plate.

Well, I was (and am) firmly on the side of letting users contribute by
writing wiki-based docs while people writing code write code.  I'm
writing code for Myth instead of learning wiki to solve the problems
other people are having understanding something I fully understand.  I
even delayed writing up what I wrote for about 3 days because I didn't
want to spend the time.  And, I was nice enough to volunteer my time to
adjust the SQL as necessary to get wikified output, so IMHO, I'm

If no one does this, then please, everyone, quit whining about there
being no documentation on playback profiles.  After all, Google (and
Gossamer) is your friend, and I've explained a lot of issues about how
to use them on this list, so just go out and find it.

Mike