[mythtv-users] Playback Profiles? WTF?!

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 01:29:02 UTC 2008

Jonny B wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Marc Sherman <msherman at projectile.ca
> <mailto:msherman at projectile.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Todd Ignasiak wrote:
>

> And now for something more useful and on point:
>
>  >The only other thing to note is that I only recently scored the 3GHz
>  >CPU. I had previously been running with a 2.67Ghz. Should I have
>  >reinstalled the OS? I thought it would be ok just to whack in the better
>  >processor.
>
> If you didn't change architecture (I.E. P4->P4 r C2D -> C2D) you
> shouldn't need to recompile, but if you did (I'm not sure if the
> chipsets support that?) then you will.
>
> As an aside, I just realized as I was reading this, that even the same
> chip (P4 for example) has different architectures (I.E., wilamette v.
> northwood), so it probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and upgrade your
> kernel. A complete reinstall, likely, isn't needed. Unfortunately, I
> haven't quite delved into HD (well, I am working on getting a pair of
> pinnacle cards running, then I'll have to hope my frontend (P4 2.8HT)
> will handle it. If not, I may be looking for a new frontend soon. DARN!
> :-) Hate when I gotta get new toys) so I don't know what settings to
> suggest.

In reality a P4->C2D isn't a big change and won't require a new kernel
unless you're, say, going from 1 to 2 cores and want an smp kernel now
but aren't currently using one. Even less important is changing from a
Willamette to a Northwood P4; both are literally the same architecture
from the kernel's point of view. You shouldn't even need to think twice
when switching those out. Not even in windows XP pro would you have to
reinstall the OS just for a new proc, and certainly just "whacking" it
in there and forgetting about it will not do any harm in a linux system.

In general, if it didn't require you to change the motherboard, you
don't have anything to fear about how your system will behave after the
processor upgrade.

Two days ago I unplugged a hard drive from a linux box with a 5 year old
motherboard, AthlonXP 1700+, and DDR333 RAM, and plugged it into my
windows box which has a 2.6 GHz C2D, P35 chipset, and DDR2-800 RAM. The
machine booted and loaded ubuntu just as it did on the other machine
without even noticing the change. All I did was change to an smp kernel.

So I would say, don't worry about going from 2.6 to 3GHz :)

Raphael