[mythtv-users] To underscan, or not to underscan.

Skitals hondacrxsi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 17:05:49 UTC 2008

So I have a Sony 1080i CRT RPTV (KP-46WT520). I love the tv, except for the
DREADED overscan. I lose a couple inches on all sides. I currently have my
resolution set at a full 1920x1080, without any under/overscan for tv
playback. For the myth menus, I set the resolution to something like
1800x1012 to eliminate the overscan so the setup menus and such are usable.

I have a couple problems with this. Because of the window resolution change
between tv playback and the menu, it kind of flickers a couple times as it
adjusts and offsets when switch from a menu to tv, and vice versa. It's
especially annoying when pulling up the program guide.

Now I could set TV playback to use the same settings as the menus, or I
could fix the overscan at the graphics card level, but I am hesitant for one
primary reason. And that is the effect of scaling for HD video playback. I
like the idea of playing back 1080i content w/o any type of scaling. If I
reset my video card settings to output say 1800x1012 with the proper offset,
how would that scaling effect video quality? I guess since most of my
content is 480p or 720p anyways, I might be making a big issue out of
nothing. I'm just curious what you people do who have tvs with outrageous
overscan.

Someone actually posted a Modeline for my specific tv in the wiki, but for
some reason they are only doing 1160x652 (720p minus overscan) instead of
something closer to 1080i.