[mythtv-users] slow playback on ATI RS690 (X1200) with 0.21

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 20:10:06 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have an Asus M2A-VM motherboard with  ATI RS690 onboard video and a
BE-2350 (dual core) CPU.

This system played Mythtv files (2 Mb/s mpegs from Hauppauge PVR-500)
just fine with 0.20, though - due to the young age of the "radeonhd"
(i.e., no support yet for hardware acceleration) module - it DID take
about 60% of both cores to play (with hardware acceleration it should
have been more like 10-20%).

Now with 0.21 Mythtv is unwatchable - I get screen updates once or
twice per second. I can play the files just fine with mplayer (using
"-vo x11"), so I know it's not due to some system change which snuck
in recently.  I've poked around the playback settings, trying values
which seemed to make sense to me, but nothing has worked. Even editing
runs slowly (long pause between, say, pressing PAGE DOWN and seeing
the result onscreen).

Can anyone give me a clue about what settings will actually work with
my onboard video? Or do I have to install my GeForce PCI card, and use
it until the radeonhd driver is fully developed?

Calvin