[mythtv-users] No playback UI after upgrade

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 19 22:27:59 UTC 2008

On 03/19/2008 04:53 PM, George Galt wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 4:33 PM, ferlin_husky_jr <sisernhagen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  I upgraded from .20 to .21 using synaptic and now I don't have any UI while
>>  watching live tv or recorded tv.  When I change the volume, pause playback
>>  or anything like that nothing is displayed.  When I watch a recorded program
>>  and it ends there is no UI to delete or keep the program.  It is stuck and I
>>  have to kill the mythtv frontend process and restart the frontend to get
>>  unstuck.
>>
>>  I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. Any ideas?
> I believe there is a setup screen in which you can select the OSD in
> .21.

Actually, all(?) versions of Myth (in the last 5 years or so, at least)
have allowed the user to select an OSD (technically, an OSD theme).

>   Is it possible that you have one selected that your system can't
> play (i.e., an OSD that requires OpenGL but you are set to use the Qt
> painter)?  Just a guess, but you might want to fiddle with this
> setting.

This is actually a new capability of 0.21 which allows the user to
select an OSD Renderer.  In the event that a user selects something that
won't work, it will fall back to a working OSD renderer.  Therefore,
this is almost definitely not the problem.

However, you were exactly right when you were talking about, a "Setup
screen in which you can select the OSD."  Most likely the user has
selected an OSD theme that's not installed on his system or that's an
old/broken OSD theme.

OP, try using Settings|TV Settings|Playback OSD to change the OSD theme
to something else.

Mike